Which CPI to Use?

As we reported on the lack of a Social Security Cost of Living Adjustment for 2016, the concept of the CPI-E, or Consumer Price Index for the Elderly, came up a few times. This was always contrasted with “the” CPI. The articles we referenced talked about differences in the CPI-E, but they made it seem like it was a departure from some universal, overarching CPI. The Hill points out that actually, “the” CPI that Social Security uses is actually the “Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W)”. Put in that light, switching to the CPI-E makes even more sense than it did before.

Shell Game